By Brian Ballard
The brainchild of a former G.O.C. of Aldershot, Brigadier W. J. Reed. A public appeal to raise funds for the project was launched in June 1981 by The Aldershot Military Historical Trust.
The museum was officially opened by the Duke of Gloucester on 19th April, 1984. His parents had lived in the Royal Pavilion in the early years of their marriage and the Duke presented John Reed, Hon. Director, with an inventory of all its contents in 1935, when his parents were in residence. The purple, velvet-covered inventory, found at Kensington Palace, was accepted by John on behalf of the Aldershot Military Historical Trust. The Duke was Vice-chairman of The Historic Buildings and Ancient Monuments Commission and was a qualified architect and had shown much interest in the history and rebuilding of Aldershot.
Credits
Copyright © Brian Ballard. This article, including the accompanying pictures, may not be reproduced or republished, in whole or in part, either in print or electronically, including on any websites or social media sites, without the prior permission of the author.